Thursday, July 26, 2007

Hey! Dis ain't Pismo Beach!

on an unrelated note, i'm curious as to the mindset of most city centre bicyclists. do they not care whether they live or die? have they received special exemption from traffic laws? are bicycles just issued to the bottom 1% of the IQ test results?

very very strange. this morning alone, two separate intersections had a bike running a red, at slow relaxed pace, WELL after the light went green for the car who had to slam on his brakes to avoid bettering the gene pool...

i myself came, and i swear to all i hold dear that i'm not exaggerating, within an inch or two of killing a moron on a bmx last year. he darted out from behind a pole at the top of bernard and st-laurent, where cars are typically doing 50 kph+ and can't really see behind cement poles to verify if a bike rider is about to commit suicide.

oh, and when they're calmly riding side by side in a car lane, with cars inches behind them, or swerving around them, do they feel they're making a point?

i can't quite understand it. i wonder what the statistic of bicycle injuries are in this town every year. and i wonder if my taxes are paying for it. at least smokers like me pay a fortune per pack, which theoretically goes back into government coffers to pay for our increased health costs.

one of these days, someone will be paying too close attention to swerving around the largebutt bike rider in his lane to notice the one casually crossing the red directly in front of him...what am i saying. that happens often enough.

absolutely mindless idiots. you want to ride a bike to work? cool! there are fucking side streets all over headed into the city centre which have deliniated bike lanes for you. oh, and fucking stop signs and traffic lights apply to you as well, you fucking peasant. and they're certainly not put there to save the paint on my car from being scratched and dented by your empty skull when i crash into you.
stay OFF the main car arteries into town, remember that you may be ever so within your rights, but 4000 lbs of steel defeats 300 lbs of lardbutt every day.

i do not need your brain on my windshield. that would, like, bum me out for a couple of days, and maybe even ruin my appetite for a while.

idiots.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sparky said...

I will come to the defense of the biker and the bicycle, since it was probably the most ingenious object invented by man in the last 150 years...it is the quintessence of low-tech.

Anyway, cycling is dangerous. No way around it. But that's the whole fun of it. There's no "armour" of being encased in a steel frame. You don't get to make mistakes...

But you're also in harmony with the bike. If you're an experienced rider, you might as well be walking. I've had a car pull out in front of me while going about 40 kph along Sherbrooke...I hit the brakes, slid over the hood of the cars, landed on my feet with my bike held in one arm and stared at the driver. He just looked back in utter amazement, I remember.

Here in lovely Victoria, I ride every day along the beachfront road...everybody is usually just cruising along, and I ride with traffic. No problem.

In Montreal, however, I always realized that all bets are off...

Context is important, as you suggest.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home